Today, many modern homes use quartzite for building purposes owing to its availability in unique colors and patterns. It is basically a form of metamorphosed sandstone. This stone is available in white, pink, and gray. Bricks and building blocks are also created with quartzite.
Properties of quartzite
Following is a short list of the exclusivity of this stone, which makes it a popular choice for various types of construction works:
1. One of the major properties of this stone is high resistance to wear and tear. This is a very hard stone and is also resistant to weathering. Properties like durability and suitability to every type of construction project is one of the major reasons for its popularity.
2. Quartzite has high abrasion hardness and is also resistant to harsh chemical attacks.
3. The surface of the stone is also very glossy, which is helpful for decoration and landscaping purposes.
4. It is available naturally in various forms, textures, and colors. It has a high aesthetic appeal and thus can be used for decorating the outer walls of the houses.
5. It is suitable for use in all surfaces – hones, polished, sand blasted, or flamed.
While there are so many properties, knowledgeable architects prefer it for being ageless – forever contemporary.
Uses of quartzite
Owing to its ability to split along the foliations, it is generally used for wall claddings and as roofing tiles. The granoblastic form of the stone has a medium-grained texture that allows the material to be used in the construction of floors. Various other types of exterior and interior designer tiles are also created with such stones. The stone is also a perfect choice for the construction of pool decks, entrances, stair treads. It is considered to be the best choice for areas where foot traffic is heavier. This is because; the material is easy to clean and provides a non-skid surface naturally. You can expose the stone to heavy traffic and harsh weather conditions. In the US, quartzite is generally crushed and used as aggregate base for pavement projects. It is interesting to note that during the 17th century, West African nations used the stone as money!
Benefits of the stone
1. It is an extremely hard stone and lacks tiny orifices. Thus, it can be used for shower floors. The texture of the stone will prevent people from slipping even when water spills on them.
2. Dirt generally does not accumulate due to its smooth surface and it can withstand stress. So, it can be used for flooring in areas of heavy traffic.
Are you interested to buy quartzite? San Diego comprises a few great suppliers from where you will be able to buy the material at the best price in the market.